De-Icing Best Practice
Health and safety together with best practice is more important than ever during the winter months. Every employer is required to take all reasonably practicable steps to ensure the health, safety and welfare of employees at work. Read our top tips to keep your workplace slip-free this winter.
Top tips for applying de-icing products:
- Check the weather forecast and apply the product BEFORE snow/ice/frost settles. Ideally early evening on the day before it is forecast.
- By de-icing in advance, you will use up to 50% less product and it could keep the area clear for up to 72 hours depending on the severity of the weather.
- Liquid de-icing products will need to be reapplied after heavy rain.
- Don’t allow salt-based products to come into contact with plants, animals or metal structures. Sodium Chloride (Salt) will also etch concrete surfaces.
- There is a duty of care in relation to fire escapes which are usually metal gantry-type structures where granular products cannot be used, instead use Liquid Ice Melt on these areas.
- When applying salt-based products, gloves should be worn together with safety boots.
- If an areas is covered in ice, apply the product as close to the ‘starting point’ as possible to create a safe base to start from.
- Snow thicker than 40mm should be removed with a snow shovel before applying de-icing product to the remaining layer.
- For maximum coverage a push along spreader is recommended.
- Store salt-based material in a weatherproof Grit Bin to keep it dry otherwise it will become damp and not be suitable for use.
Popular De-Icing Solutions from Seton:
White Salt is fast-acting and high-purity; it de-ices large areas quickly and leaves virtually no residue making it ideal for access areas, paths and steps. It works down to -12°C and is ideal for use with salt spreaders.
Rapid Ice Melt provides 10 times more coverage that salt and is the cleanest way of de-icing your workplace as it leaves no residue. It’s 100% non-corrosive so is safe to use around animals and plants.
Liquid Ice Melt can be used on stairwells, gantries and other areas where salt-based de-icers are not suitable. Environmentally-friendly and can be used in conjunction with our Sprayer and Knapsack Sprayer for ease of use. Watch the Video online!
Salt Spreaders are a necessity for any medium to large site and provide the easiest way to de-ice whilst ensuring even coverage. Seton have a range of spreaders ranging from a general 18kg Spreader though to a 36kg Professional Spreader to suit every application.
Salt/Grit Bins ensure your de-icing product remains clean, dry and contained. If not stored in a weatherproof container, the salt becomes harder to apply as it becomes damp. You can store your shovels in there too so they’re always on hand when required.
Snow Shovels/Scoops make shovelling snow and de-icing material a great deal easier. It’s worth investing in a good quality shovel as they’re designed to withstand the rigours of heavy winter use.